WASHINGTON, DC (July 2, 2015) – Washington D.C.’s Navy Yard facility is under lockdown Thursday morning, according to a Tweet from the U.S. Navy. This is the site of a 2013 shooting where 12 people were killed.
DCPD said as of late Thursday morning, police activity around the Navy Yard was “clear” and all associated streets have reopened. It was not clear what that meant for the lockdown. So far, officials haven’t found any evidence of a shooting, a law enforcement source told CNN.
Police searched building 197 on Thursday morning, the same building where the 2013 Navy Yard shooting took place, a source with DC’s Metropolitan Police Department tells CNN.
The law enforcement source said the original 911 call reported a shooting on the second floor.
The U.S. Navy says the facility is under a shelter-in-place order.
Navy Commander Scott Williams, who was at the Navy Yard on Thursday morning and during the attack two years ago, told CNN’s “New Day” that the scene unfolding around the complex was “pretty much a mirror image of 2013”.
Naval Architect Jordan Rongers told CNN that the response and evacuation “pretty much the same thing as happened three years ago, but I think the response has been much better,” citing better protocols and security.
In a preventative measure, officials closed Pennsylvania Avenue in front of the White House. A law enforcement official says the move is a standard security precaution in light of potential navy yard incident under investigation.
A defense official says the Pentagon has not raised its security posture here on the Pentagon complex in reaction to the situation at Navy Yard, but they are keeping a close eye on what is going on.
Dozens of police and ambulance vehicles surrounded the Washington Navy Yard on Thursday morning. Bystanders tweeted photos of the scene, though official details on the incident we’re scarce as of Thursday morning.