Best desserts for Labor Day
Hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken and other grilled favorites — these are the foods that probably come to mind when you think of a Labor Day barbecue. However, when planning a barbecue for this year’s end-of-summer holiday, don’t forget to include some delicious desserts.
We asked our baking expert for advice to assist our readers in selecting the right desserts for their Labor Day celebrations. Cordon Bleu-trained pastry chef Andrea Boudewijn weighed in on how to keep your summer dessert selection simple while satisfying your guests’ urge for something sweet after the main course.
What desserts are best for barbecues?
When it comes to a barbecue, certain desserts come to mind. Boudewijn said her favorite choices are classic options like Rice Krispie treats, brownies and pie.
According to Boudewijn, these desserts are appealing and easy to take to a barbecue. “Rice Krispie treats are great because they’re a light dessert, easy to make, and durable for transport,” she said. “Brownies are easy to make and travel well. Pie, because you have to have pie at a barbecue!”
Considerations for choosing desserts for a barbecue
During a backyard barbecue, the focus is on the grill where classic grilled cuisine is prepared and served. When desserts are offered, they are typically made in advance and brought to the event to be served after the grilling is done. According to Boudewijn, serving desserts suitable for outdoor gatherings and keeping them fresh and spillproof are important steps.
Here’s how she recommends you make that happen:
- Plan to have desserts that are safe to eat at room temperature.
- Wrap each dessert in plastic in a deli wrap style. Wrap it all the way over and under the bowl and plate then back around.
- Turn the dessert and do it a second time. When something is deli wrapped like this it won’t leak or spill, plus it keeps it extra fresh.
Tips for serving desserts at your Labor Day barbecue
Boudewijn said that when it comes to desserts for a barbecue, keeping it simple is the best plan. Following a few tips will make dessert time at this year’s Labor Day barbecue successful.
- Handle items like toppings that need to be kept cool with care. According to Boudewijn, “whipped cream should be held in a dispenser inside a cooler and only dispensed right before serving.”
- Some desserts should be kept out of direct sunlight. “Other things like icing on a cake are fine to eat at room temperature (they taste better at room temp too), but if set in direct sun, icing melts,” Boudewijn said.
- Protect cool desserts in outdoor settings. “Keep cool desserts in the shade with a pop-up tent if needed.”
Labor Day barbecue dessert recipes
Rice Krispie Treats
Yield: About fifteen 3-inch by 3-inch squares
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
10 ounces miniature marshmallows
12 ounces Rice Krispies
1. Prepare a sheet pan with wax paper and lightly butter a rolling pin.
2. Combine butter and marshmallows in a pot and stir until melted.
3. Remove from heat and stir in Rice Krispies.
4. Spread the mixture evenly in the prepared sheet pan. Roll your buttered rolling pin over
the top to make an even layer.
5. Let cool, then use a knife or bench scraper to cut the dessert into squares.
6. Wrap the squares in plastic until they are ready to serve.
Yield: 16 brownies
¾ cup flour
¾ cup sugar
½ teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
¼ cup butter
2 tablespoons water
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and butter an 8-inch by 8-inch baking pan
2. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl and set aside
3. In a small saucepan on low heat add butter, oil, water, and sugar. Stir and bring to a low
simmer, then remove from heat. Stir in chocolate chips
4. Transfer chocolate sauce to a large bowl and mix in eggs one at a time. Gradually add
flour and mix until they are fully combined.
5. Pour brownie mix into a baking pan.
6. Bake the mixture for 30 minutes then remove them from the oven to cool.
7. Cut, serve, and enjoy!
Best items for Labor Day barbecue desserts
Nordic Ware Three-piece Baker’s Delight Sheet Pan Set
This versatile collection comes with three useful pans, including half and quarter sheets plus a jelly roll pan. They are made of quality aluminum that holds up well to frequent use and resists rust and corrosion. Sold by Amazon, Wayfair, Kohl’s, and Macy’s
KitchenAid Maple Wood Handled Rolling Pin
With grippy handles and a solid build, preparing dough and other foods is simple with this well-made rolling pin. It’s made of maple wood that is hard and resists damage. Sold by Amazon
AmazonCommercial Nonstick Silicone Spatula Set
Silicone spatulas are useful cooking tools for stirring, scraping and flipping food without causing damage to cookware. This set includes two small and two large spatulas that can handle cooking temperatures up to 428 degrees. Sold by Amazon
Homearray Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set
You’ll get six mixing bowls of various sizes in this practical set. Each bowl is made of durable stainless steel that’s great for mixing ingredients and is easy to clean. Sold by Amazon
Victorinox Fibrox Pro 8-inch Chef’s Knife
A sharp, durable blade, easy-to-hold handle and versatile 8-inch length put this chef’s knife on our list of favorites. It’s made of high carbon steel that’s built to last and cut through numerous types of food. Sold by Amazon
This handy scraper will come in handy for preparing ingredients and serving desserts. Although affordable, it’s durable and easy to use. Sold by Amazon
All-Clad 2-quart Stainless Steel Sauce Pan with Lid
Crafted of 3-ply stainless steel, the All-Clad 2-quart saucepan is both durable and practical for many home cooking applications. It comes with a well-fitting lid. Sold by Amazon, Wayfair, Sur La Table and Macy’s
KitchenAid Artisan Series 5-quart Stand Mixer
Every avid home chef wants a KitchenAid stand mixer. The 5-quart model is one of the most popular options by the brand and is built to simplify many meal-prep tasks. Sold by Amazon, Home Depot, Wayfair and Sur La Table
Black and Decker Helix Performance 5-speed Hand Mixer
When a hand mixer is all you need to prepare your favorite recipes, the Helix is the one you’ll reach for time and again. It features five speeds, a powerful motor, and a compact design that’s simple to use and store. Sold by Amazon and Wayfair
USA Pan Bakeware Square Cake Pan
No baker’s cookware collection is complete without a square cake pan. An 8-inch model like this one is perfect for preparing small cakes and brownies. It’s made of aluminized stainless steel that’s strong and stick-resistant. Sold by Amazon, Macy’s and Sur La Table
OXO Good Grips Silicone Oven Mitt
Made of heat-resistant silicone that also provides a reliable grip, this oven mitt is protective and useful when handling hot bakeware. The fact that it’s machine-washable is an added convenience. Sold by Amazon and Macy’s
Want to shop the best products at the best prices? Check out Daily Deals from BestReviews.
Sign up here to receive the BestReviews weekly newsletter for useful advice on new products and noteworthy deals.
Jennifer Manfrin writes for BestReviews. BestReviews has helped millions of consumers simplify their purchasing decisions, saving them time and money.
Copyright 2022 BestReviews, a Nexstar company. All rights reserved.