SAN DIEGO, Calif. (June 12, 2015) – A man wanted in connection with a bizarre murder plot against a Hamilton County attorney has been captured in California.
According to the Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office, U.S. Marshals apprehended Richard Steven Perillo Thursday in San Diego, Calif. He’s in custody at the San Diego County Sheriff’s Office Vista Detention Facility awaiting extradition to Indiana.
Perillo will face a number of charges upon his return to Indiana:
- Conspiracy to Commit Murder, a Level 2 Felony
- Theft, a Class A Misdemeanor
- Carrying a Handgun Without a License, a Class A Misdemeanor
- Possession of Paraphernalia, a Class A Misdemeanor
- Criminal Trespass, a Class A Misdemeanor
- Unauthorized Entry of a Motor Vehicle, a Class B Misdemeanor
Hamilton County investigators said the whereabouts of Perillo’s mother, 51-year-old Renee Perillo, are unknown.
The two are accused of concocting a plot to kill an attorney. The attorney’s husband found them hiding in the trunk of the couple’s car on May 22. The pair said they were homeless and sleeping. After being charged with misdemeanors, they posted bond and were released. The attorney was pursuing unpaid settlement money from a man Renee Perillo is dating, court documents said.
Soon after the pair’s release, detectives found a stolen car with both Perillos’ identification inside. They also found a long list of disturbing items. According to court documents, they included:
- Tranquilizer gun with four darts
- Box of ammunition
- Two machetes
- Long-handled shovel with fresh dirt on the blade
- Blond colored long-hair wig
- Roll of duct tape
- Alcohol prep pads and antibacterial wipes
- Glock .40 caliber magazine fully loaded
- Commando saw
- Multiple pairs of gloves
- Hypodermic needles
- Brown walking cane, two men’s hats, shirt with a white collar such as would be worn by a priest or clergyman
- Silicone mask designed to cover the entire head, depicting an elderly man’s face/head
An inmate at the Hamilton County Jail said the younger Perillo bragged about the plan and said they’d planned to do a “hit” on the lawyer. They’d hidden in the car for hours, investigators said.