This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.


Joseph Flynn pleaded guilty to battery resulting in serious bodily injury. He was sentenced to 6 years, with 3 years suspended. An enhancement of 6 years was also added for being a habitual offender.


David Mettert pleaded guilty to aiding in battery causing serious bodily injury, a level 5 felony. A prosecutor on the case said “He was sentenced to the IDOC with credit given for the time he spent in jail prior to sentencing which was 953 days.”


NEW CASTLE, Ind. – Two more inmates face charges in connection with the March beating death of a prisoner at the Henry County Jail.

Brian Gosser died on March 4 after a series of beatings. This week, prosecutors charged Joseph W. Flynn, 32, and Joshua G. Wilson, 25, in the case. Flynn is charged with aggravated battery and involuntary manslaughter; Wilson faces those charges plus two counts of theft for stealing Gosser’s e-cigarettes.

Last week, David Mettert, 48, and Justin Fannin, 35, were charged in Gosser’s death.

Gosser was jailed after being arrested being arrested on Feb. 17 for operating a vehicle while intoxicated and public intoxication with a habitual vehicular substance offender enhancement. He’s the son of former Rush County Sheriff Doug Gosser.

According to a probable cause affidavit, Gosser endured repeated beatings from inmates after his arrest and was moved to several different locations around the jail. Gosser told jail staff that other inmates stole from him; the jail filed incident reports in which Gosser alleged beatings.

Gosser said he’d blacked out from some of the beatings and told staff that the other inmates ganged up on him. During a hospital visit on Feb. 27, Gosser told staff that inmates beat him three times. He suffered injuries to his face, head, back, chest and ribs. Doctors said he had a broken nose, broken bones in his face and fractured ribs.

On March 3, Gosser went back to the hospital because of complications from injuries he’d suffered during the beatings. He was initially examined at Henry County Hospital before being transferred to St. Vincent in Indianapolis, where he later died.

An autopsy showed Gosser died from multiple blunt force traumatic injuries and ruled his death a homicide. The autopsy noted multiple injuries to his head, face, ribs and extremities.

Flynn, Wilson and Fannin are accused of inflicting his injuries. Court documents accuse Mettert of closing Gosser’s cell door while the other three beat him.

Gosser’s family has filed tort claims notifying the county of a possible lawsuit in connection with Gosser’s death. The tort alleges wrongful death, poor medical care and inadequate supervision.