Court docs: Men arrested in 1-year-old’s death say they shot up house in retaliation


Darrin Banks (left) and Brian Palmer (right)

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. -- Two men accused in the shooting death of 1-year-old Malaysia Robson confessed to shooting up the house in retaliation, according to court docs.

Indianapolis Metropolitan police announced the arrests of Darrin Banks and Brian Palmer early Wednesday morning and said they faced preliminary charges of murder and aggravated assault. They made their first court appearance on Thursday morning.

According to court documents, detectives learned through witness interviews the shooting was related to a dispute between family members and close friends of the family members. The fighting started on social media and escalated into a large fight at an east side apartment complex.

Afterwards, they continued to fight through social media and phone calls.

Robson was killed on March 29 when dozens of shots were fired into the home on North Wittfield Street. Malaysia died from her injuries while her teenage aunt was wounded.

A person close to the situation came forward to police and told them Banks and Palmer shot up the house.  The informant also said a female was driving the car at the time of the shooting.

Investigators began to watch the suspects, and they initiated a traffic stop while both men were in Palmer's vehicle on April 10. Both men were taken into custody, and officers saw an AR-15 in plain sight in Palmer's car. Search warrants were executed, two AR-15 and ammunition were recovered.

Detectives interviewed both suspects who said they were upset about the fight that occurred earlier involving Banks’ family, during which his pregnant sister was injured. Court documents say they both admitted to getting their rifles and being driven to the house. They both admitted to shooting it up despite the fact that they knew people were inside of the house.

Robert Sledge, Palmer’s father, said he did not believe the account laid out in court documents that Banks and his son confessed after being advised of their Miranda Rights.

“Get your facts straight. They need to dig a little deeper than get two black men young black men and saying that they did this,” he said.

Judge Mark Stoner’s courtroom was packed with Palmer’s friends and family.

“Never seen Brian own a gun at all. He’s a car guy man. He’s not a violent person,” said Justin Tindle. “I know Brian loves his family, he always supported his family, he loves his mother and they’re a tight group, they’ve always been there for each other.”

Banks and Palmer will continue their initial hearing on April 17 at 11 a.m.


Most Popular

Latest News

More News