INDIANAPOLIS — September is National Preparedness Month across the country. Each week has a different theme. Week 3’s theme is “low-cost, no-cost preparedness.”
Here are a few tips to stay prepared and how to save money while doing it.
- Having a plan of action, as discussed in Week 1, is a great no-cost way to prepare. Write down where to go and what to do during an emergency.
- Have an emergency contact list that your friends and family all have access to easily.
- Store all important documents in a water-proof, fire-proof location.
- Sign-up for alerts sent straight to your phone, download the free Wx Authority app to sign up for alerts
- Make a list of local storm shelters
- Gradually add important items to your safety kit instead of buying them all at once
- Practice your safety plan with your friends and family
Follow these tips to stay prepared and stay ahead of the storm.