Muncie shooting suspect still sought after being spotted in Ohio


Earlier images released of D’Ante Davis (left) and Treyvon Bennett (right).

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

UPDATE (June 1, 2017) — D’Ante Davis pleaded guilty to battery in January and was sentenced to 6 years in the Department of Correction. In addition, he received 3 years in a separate robbery case and will serve a total of 9 years in the DOC.

BROOKVILLE, OH (May 21, 2015) – A man accused in a shooting that left two people hurt is still on the run. Treyvon Bennett was spotted in Brookville, Ohio on Wednesday, nearly 70 miles from where the shooting took place in Muncie on May 6.

A 17-year-old male and 7-year-old boy were shot. Police say Bennett and another suspect, D’Ante Davis, are responsible for the shooting. They say the 17-year-old victim was the intended target. Davis was arrested, but Bennett is still on the run.

Police in Brookville were patrolling in an area near the police department on Wednesday, when they came across a distressed motorist.

Major Tom Simon said the driver claimed they were having engine problems. The passenger, later determined to be Bennett, said he was going inside a nearby apartment to grab water. When police were told the man was Bennett, they called in backup, including U.S. Marshals. A woman refused to let police inside the apartment for some time, but when she finally did, police say Bennett fled, likely through a back door.

Also on Wednesday, an initial court hearing was held for Davis on unrelated charges of armed robbery. Davis’ family and friends presented letters to the media stating they believe Davis was there, but he wasn’t involved with the shooting. They said there was another man present at the time of the shooting that resembles Davis and police have the wrong guy.

The statements say:

“D’Ante Davis came to my house and told me they were shooting and he took off running.”

“When I heard gun sounds, I didn’t see D’Ante.”

Davis’ attorney, Michael Quirk, said the statements from the family were presented to help prove his innocence. The statements have not been investigated by the Delaware County Prosecutor’s Office and are not part of evidence.

Bennett is still considered armed and dangerous. Davis will appear in court again on June 3 for a bond hearing on the aggravated robbery charges. The initial hearing for the charges of attempted murder will be held July 17.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News