INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – The Marion County Sheriff’s Department wants to remind Hoosiers to properly report an emergency on New Year’s Eve.
New Year’s Eve is one of the busiest nights for the county’s 911 center. It’s expected that dispatchers will answer thousands of 911 calls, and many of them will not be true emergencies.
Marion County citizens are asked not to call 911 to report fireworks or loud parties. The non-emergency line is 317-327-3811.
MCSO Dispatchers offer the following tips to citizens on when to call 911 on New Year’s Eve:
- Call 911 to report a suspected drunk driver.
- If you see someone firing a gun, call 911.
- If you see an assault, disturbance or fight call 911.
- Always call 911 for a medical and/or fire emergency.
- If you accidentally called 911 and did not realize it; don’t hang up. Dispatchers will have to call you back which will only tie up their valuable time.