ANDERSON, Ind. - A dog is getting help after the Madison County Human Society claims someone found her in a box in a dumpster.
The shelter explains the pit bull mix named Nestle has one of the worst infections it has ever seen.
The shelter manager, Nikki Moore, said someone dropped off the dog on Thursday.
"They thought she had acid poured on her and they were afraid she was not going to make it," said Moore.
Thankfully, that was not the case. Most of her body is covered in itchy scabs from infections and a skin disease, mange, made her lose hair. Moore thinks her illness was neglected for some time.
"Kind of like an itch you can’t scratch," Moore explained. "There is so much of it everywhere. It is really hard for her to feel any relief so the main part is for us to medicate those areas and try to get all of the scabs and blood off and give her some type of relief."
Nestle was immediately taken to a vet and she's now recovering at the shelter until the facility finds her a foster home. The pit bull mix spent Friday afternoon curled up on her bed to stay warm.
Moore was grateful the 2-year-old pup was found before freezing temperatures Thursday night.
"Especially being somewhere where she couldn’t get out," Moore said. "Who knows what would have happened?"
The Madison County Humane Society gives her medicated baths every two days. Nestle also has to be on medication for the fungal infection.
The organization has already raised more than $1,000 dollars. Moore said most of the money will go towards Nestle's medical bills. Extra funds will go towards other pets who need help.
This story will be updated with a full report.