This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CARMEL, Ind. — A 40-year-old man is under arrest after allegedly stabbing his father to death and injuring his mother at their home in Carmel before fleeing to southern Indiana, where he was taken into custody on Monday night.

Christopher Claerbout faces preliminary charges of murder, criminal confinement with serious injury and domestic violence.

Neighbors in the quiet Woodland Springs community said they’re shocked and saddened by what happened.

“It’s just sad that a tragedy like this would happen in our neighborhood,” said Ken Tomozawa, who lives one street from where Monday night’s homicide occurred.

Booking photo of Christopher Claerbout

According to the Carmel Police Department, officers responded to the 3500 block of Rolling Springs Drive in the residential neighborhood of Woodland Springs just after 6 p.m. to assist the Carmel Fire Department with an ‘unknown’ medical call.

Upon arrival, police said they found Christopher’s 75-year-old father, David Claerbout, lying outside the residence. Officials said David had been stabbed multiple times and was pronounced dead at the scene.

“A second victim, a female, was also located at the residence, who was partially bound and severely battered,” said Carmel Police Sgt. D.J. Schoeff.

Police confirm the woman, who is the suspect’s mother, was taken to an area hospital with injuries believed to be non-life threatening.

According to CPD, officers quickly identified Christopher Claerbout as the suspect and were able to determine he fled the scene in a vehicle. Thanks to the help of OnStar technology, police said they were able to track down the location and notify additional law enforcement agencies to assist.

According to CPD, the vehicle was located traveling south on I-65 in Clark County.

“Indiana State Police and Clark County Sheriff’s Office in Southern Indiana attempted to conduct a traffic stop on that vehicle. At the time they began to initiate the traffic stop, the vehicle sped up to an unreasonable speed in which we were able to identify to OnStar we needed the vehicle to be disabled,” said Schoeff.

Police said OnStar was able to disable the vehicle to come to a stop, but Christopher allegedly fled on foot into a nearby wooded area. He was eventually caught with the help of a K-9, treated at an area hospital and then transported to the Hamilton County Jail, where he currently remains.

“We’ve lived here for over 20 years and it’s a shock that something like this would happen,” said Tomozawa.

Although Tomozawa does not know the couple, several neighbors who spoke with FOX59 said they have lived here for years and are friends to many. The news of what happened overwhelmed many neighbors with an immense sense of sadness on Tuesday.

Carmel Police ask anyone with additional information on the case to call the department at (317) 571-2500.