INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. — The beginning of Indy 500 related activities, special group fun runs and a university graduation all headline a busy week of activities in downtown Indianapolis this week.
Those activities will translate to increased traffic around those events throughout the week. Drivers are reminded for possible delays as well as street closures or restrictions close to those events.
Here is a list of some of the activities in downtown this week:
Wednesday, May 10
Market Street will be closed between Alabama and Delaware streets 8 a.m.–2 p.m. for the Original Farmers’ Market at the City Market.
The south lane of the west block of Georgia Street (between Illinois Street and Capitol Avenue) will be closed 12 – 1 p.m. for Workout Wednesday.
Saturday, May 13
The Hakuna Mimosa Run 5K will begin and End at Metazoa Brewing. The following streets will be closed on a rolling basis from 7:30 – 10 a.m.:
- Georgia Street between East Street and College Avenue
- College Avenue between Georgia Street and Virginia Avenue
- Virginia Avenue between College Avenue and Morris Street
- Morris Street between Virginia and Madison avenues
- Madison Avenue between Morris and Delaware streets
- Delaware Street between Madison Avenue and South Street
- South Street between Delaware and East streets
- East Street between South and Georgia streets
The Chase 500 Festival Kids’ Day and Rookie Run will take place from 12 – 4 p.m. on Monument Circle and surrounding spokes. The run will be held on Meridian Street between Ohio and Michigan streets. The street closures are as follows:
- 12 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Monument Circle and all spokes
- 7 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Ohio Street between Pennsylvania and Illinois streets
- Meridian Street between Ohio and New York streets
- 12 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- New York Street between Pennsylvania and Illinois streets
- Meridian Street between New York and Vermont streets
- 2 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Vermont Street between Pennsylvania and Illinois streets
- Meridian Street between Vermont and Michigan streets
The Virginia Avenue Folk Fest will result in the closure of Virginia Avenue between Grove Avenue and Prospect Street and of Woodlawn Avenue between Virginia Avenue and Shelby Street from 8 a.m. – midnight.
Sunday, May 14
Indiana Run for the Fallen will enter Downtown between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., resulting in rolling closures along the route:
- Fall Creek Parkway North Drive between Meridian and 56th streets
- Meridian Street between Fall Creek Parkway North Drive and Vermont Street
- North Street between Meridian and Pennsylvania streets
- Pennsylvania Street between north and Michigan streets
IUPUI Commencement ceremonies will take place at Lucas Oil Stadium. As a result, South Street will be closed between Capitol Avenue and Missouri Street 2:30 – 4:30 p.m.