This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – An Indianapolis Metropolitan police officer was hurt after crashing during a pursuit Wednesday night in Fountain Square.

The officer suffered a broken vertebrae in his neck and other injuries to his back and arm; he was transported to IU Health Methodist Hospital.

IMPD says that the officer was chasing a stolen vehicle and crashed into a parked car. The stolen vehicle reportedly struck a car and then crashed into a house.

Authorities have the passenger of the stolen vehicle in custody and are using K9 partners to locate the driver.

Police were dispatched just before 9 p.m. to the scene near St. Paul St. and Prospect St.

Photo courtesy Wayne Tyler Sall

“During the pursuit, the suspect turned northbound on St. Paul Street,” said Lt. Dale True with IMPD. “The officer was not able to make the turn, struck a parked car. The officer was injured, he’s been transported to Methodist Hospital. At this point, he’s stable, conscious and alert.”

CBS4 obtained surveillance video from inside a convenience store located near the crash site. In the video, you can see the officer’s patrol car try to turn and come to a crashing stop. It appears the front, driver’s side door opens, and other patrol cars arrive on scene.

The employee inside that convenience store can be seen in the surveillance checking the windows to see what was going on outside, grabbing a phone and then running out of view.

The sights and sounds of the police pursuit and crash drew a large crowd in the Fountain Square neighborhood.

“I heard briefly, sirens, and then I heard a loud screech and a really loud impact,” said Janella Mathew. “I saw the crash and the police officer had actually fallen out of the vehicle.”

Deshawn Spells was playing basketball when he described hearing a loud “boom” nearby.

“I just ran from the basketball court, seen the officer on the ground, injured, on his stomach and all that. And pretty much hurt, his neck and his right arm,” Spells added.

The officer’s condition is stable, police say. He was taken to IU Methodist Hospital in downtown Indianapolis where authorities say he was alert. As of Wednesday evening, there were no reports of broken bones, but the officer was reportedly banged up.