Harmful fumes send 13 people to hospital

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WESTFIELD, IND. — Thirteen people were transported to area hospitals late Friday night in what police described as a “hazardous material situation” at a Westfield business.

The Westfield Fire Department say they received a call at approximately 8:30 p.m. Friday about people having difficulty breathing at the IMMI Conference Center at 18880 N. East Street in Westfield.  The callers suspected the odor was coming from a nearby building where remodeling was being done.

Officials say while construction workers were laying an epoxy flooring, fumes from the adhesive was recirculated throughout the building by the air conditioning unit.

Thirteen people were transported to nearby hospitals for treatment. All of them are now back at home.

“The health and safety of our team is always our first concern, and we are thankful everyone is OK,” said Julie Cooley, Director of Corporate Communications. “While the issue has been resolved and there are no lingering fumes in the building, we will remain closed this weekend as a precautionary measure. We want to thank the Westfield Fire Department, first responders, and medical staff from nearby hospitals who took excellent care of our team members.”

Responding officers evacuated the entire building.  The Westfield Fire Department says that the building has since been reopened and workers have been allowed back in.

IMMI is a manufacturer of safety systems and creates products like child restraints and seat belts. The company was founded in Indiana in 1961 and is headquartered in Westfield.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News