WESTFIELD, Ind. - City leaders in Westfield are officially opening the final piece of arguably the largest sports venue of its kind in the world this week and say the facility is putting the small city on the map.
The new 377,000 sq. ft. indoor events center will now join eight basketball courts, 26 baseball diamonds and 39 soccer fields at the Grand Park campus.
“We’re actually a pretty small city, about 37,000 people," Westfield Mayor Andy Cook said. "And it’s not unusual to get half that amount of people on the weekends out here.”
Grand Park was just in in the national spotlight this month when Presidential Candidate Donald Trump held a campaign rally at the facility. The mayors estimates between 8,000 and 10,000 people attended.
"(Grand Park) has put Westfield on the map," Cook said. “Our residential construction is through the roof.”
In fact, there have been more new building permits issued by the City of Westfield this year through June than in all of 2013, the year before a part of the complex opened.
“There’s new neighborhoods popping up on every corner and on every country road," Keller Williams Realty Realtor Mike Lyons said. "The builders are flocking to this area.”
The mayor said he hopes to leverage Grand Park and increase the area's hospitality industry to create a larger tax base, and improve the quality of life for all who live in Westfield.
“This facility is very special and it’s about creating that family experience," Cook said.
To learn more about the facility click here. Below is a complete list of this weekend's events.
- Thursday and Friday, 12 p.m. – 7 p.m.; Saturday, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Event prices: Free Admission; $10 per person for “All You Can Jump” wristband ($1 for individual tickets for the interactive inflatables and games)
MOVIES ON THE TURF (Thursday and Friday):
- Thursday, July 21
- 7:00pm – 9:00pm: Wreck It Ralph – 1hr 41min (PG)
- 9:00pm – 11:00pm: Sandlot – 1hr 41min (PG)
- Friday, July 22
- 7:00pm – 9:00pm: Tangled – 1hr 40min (PG)
- 9:00pm – 11:00pm: Kicking and Screaming – 1hr 35min (PG)
- Ticket prices: $5 per person for Double Feature Movies
RIBBON CUTTING CEREMONY:
- Friday, July 22 at 6 p.m. featuring an airplane flyover with two vintage WWII T-6 airplanes. Indoor soccer scrimmage with Indiana Fire Juniors/WYSA immediately following.
A GRAND RUN 5K presented by Wellbrooke of Westfield:
MAYOR’S YELLOW TIE BALL:
- Saturday, July 23 at 7 p.m. Ticket prices: $165 per person for gala event.
- Visit for more information.
- Proceeds benefit the Hamilton County Youth Assistance Program.