Family of man arrested in police chase speaks out

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (March 8, 2015) -- "He's not a violent person at all. It's just not him." That's what the sister of Jamor Markey is saying of her brother after his arrest following a police chase in Indianapolis Friday. Markey, 23, is in jail facing a number of charges after taking police on a wild ride through the city and crashing in to two cars. Markey eventually surrendered.

"This is not the way he behaves. Anybody that knows him knows that this is him," said Tionia Miles, thinking of Markey's mug shot following his arrest. "He is a loving person, a caring person. Over the years, a lot of stuff going on with him."

Miles says Markey was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder and Schizophrenia and was on medication for a while. She says he wanted to stop taking them.

"He didn't want to be condemned to any medication or anything because he felt like it was something he could overcome. Apparently, sometimes that's just not the case," Miles said.

Miles says the family tried to convince him to take his medication and even went as far as taking him to the hospital, Friday, hoping that would convince him. Hours later that dramatic police chase began.

"He could have killed somebody, he could have killed himself, it's like a blessing that it was just an accident and that that man was okay," Miles added.

That man she is talking about is Spenser Studebaker who we talked to hours after, police say, Markey smashed in to his car at 38th Street and Meridian Street during the chase. The family has a message for Studebaker.

"Just that we're glad you're okay, we're glad that you're okay and that fear that you saw in his eyes was probably who he really was. It was probably something that clicked like 'this isn't me'," Miles said. "We seen that it was something that needed to be gotten under control and we tried, we reached out and we're all just glad that nobody was hurt."

Markey is still in jail and police are continuing to investigate.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News