INDIANAPOLIS (April 3, 2015) – Six people escaped from a house fire early Friday morning after smoke detectors went off, according to the Indianapolis Fire Department.
IFD crews were dispatched around 5:45 a.m. to a home in the 5700 block of Coburn Avenue on the north side of Indianapolis. They found a fully involved fire when they arrived. A family of five and a teenage guest woke up after hearing the smoke detectors.
The parents escaped through a side door while three children—ages 14, 11 and 9—got out through a bedroom window on the first floor. A 14-year-old family friend also escaped. The father said he wasn’t sure what started the fire but told IFD that a friend had been working on electrical issues inside the home earlier.
It took crews about 20 minutes to get the fire under control. Damage is estimated at $60,000.
IFD Victims Assistance and the Red Cross were working to find shelter for the family.