HANCOCK COUNTY, Ind. (August 19, 2015) – A Hancock County teenager is being tried as an adult after he killed a bicyclist and in injured another in an accident.
According to court documents, Timothy Joel Hughes rear-ended two bicyclists traveling west in the area of 4300 W 300 South around 9 p.m. on August 11.
Carla McCloud, 22, of New Palestine died as a result of the injuries sustained in the crash.
Amanda Wheeler, 22, of Greenfield sustained serious injuries. She was transported to an Indianapolis hospital with a fractured skull.
Hughes stayed at the scene of the crash and waited for officers to arrive. An officer at the scene said Hughes smelled like alcohol, his eyes were red and glassy and he had very poor balance.
Hughes failed several field sobriety tests, and he agreed to a blood sample. His blood alcohol level was .28.
He admitted to police he had been drinking on his way home from the Way Out Club in Greenfield. He told police he didn’t see the girls on the bikes.
He was transported to the Delaware County Juvenile Detention Center.
Hughes was 17 years old at the time of the crash, but today is his 18th birthday.
Prosecutors made the decision to charge Hughes as an adult.
He faces seven charges including:
- Causing Death When Operating Mtr Veh. While Intox.
- Cause Death Operating a Mtr Veh w/ACE =>.08
- Causing Serious Injury Operating a Mtr Veh. Intox.
- Cause Serious Injury Operating a Mtr Veh w/ACE =>.08
- Reckless Homicide def. recklessly kills another human being
- Possession of a Narcotic Drug
- Illegal Possession of an Alcoholic Beverage