INDIANAPOLIS — Rising COVID cases in central Indiana are pushing emergency rooms to the brink. Now area hospitals are pleading with Hoosiers to find another place to get COVID tests.
“What we are seeing is people who just need testing. We are trying in our emergency departments to take care of the sickest people,” said Dr. Robin Ledyard, chief medical officer of Community Health Network. “Come any time you are in distress, shortness of breath, high fever, then you should consider coming to emergency room.”
By law, emergency rooms have to treat patients who come in. Places like Eskenazi Health, IU Health, and Community Health are seeing an increase in people simply coming to the ER to get tested. If you are going for a test because you came in contact with someone who tested positive, or you have very few symptoms, you are urged to go to state health test sites.
Health experts at Eskenazi Health say an ER meeting for a COVID test can take up to 45 minutes to complete. All emergency rooms test to determine whether the visit is indeed an emergency. When that is extrapolated over dozens of Hoosiers, time and resources can add up quickly. Over the past two days, Eskenazi Hospital has been on diversion.
“When that happens in Marion County there’s a handshake agreement that allows to give a breather from ambulance traffic,” explained Tyler Stepsis, chief of emergency medicine at Eskenazi Health, “
If you are in need of a COVID test, but wondering where to go, here is a list of test sites recommended by the Indiana State Health Department.
- 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.:
- Shadeland Goodwill 2900 Shadeland Ave., Indianapolis, IN 46219
- Goodwill of Central & Southern Indiana 1635 W. Michigan St., Indianapolis, IN 46222
- Noon to 8 p.m.:
- Hancock Wellness Center 888 W. New Rd., Greenfield, IN 46140
- Corydon Intermediate School 100 High School Rd., Corydon, IN 47112
- Rural King parking lot 1460 W. State Road 2, La Porte, IN 46350
- Highland Middle School 2108 N. 200 North, Anderson, IN 46012
- Rising Sun Church of Christ 315 N. High St., Rising Sun, IN 47040
- Robe-Ann Park 405 S. Bloomington St., Greencastle, IN 46135
- Scottsburg Fire Station No. 1 185 S. Lake Road N., Scottsburg, IN 47170
- Kokomo Event Center 1500 N. Reed Rd., Kokomo, IN 46901
- Schenkel Station 11 W. State St., Huntington, IN 46750
- 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.:
- Statehouse Market 430 Robert D. Orr Plaza, Indianapolis, IN 46204
August 26 – 28
- 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.:
- Switzerland Wine Fest 100 Ferry St., Vevay, IN 47043
August 27 – 28
- 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. on August 27; 1 p.m. to 9 p.m. on August 28
- Leota Frolic 3983 W Leota Rd., Leota, IN 47170
- Noon to 4 p.m.:
- Phillips Temple Community Health and Wellness 210 E. 34th St., Indianapolis, IN 46205
- 4 p.m. to 11 p.m.:
- Feast of Lanterns 1800 Nowland Ave., Indianapolis, IN 46201
- Noon to 4 pm:
- Open Streets of Fort Wayne 2500 S Calhoun St., Ft. Wayne, IN 46807