LOS ANGELES (KTSM) – Comedian Dave Chappelle was attacked by man while performing on stage at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles Tuesday night.
According to published reports, the unidentified man jumped on stage, rushed and tackled Chappelle, and then attempted to run away.
Reports indicate that the man was then surrounded by security at the rear of the stage and subdued.
Social media videos and photos of the attack have been posted, despite organizers holding festival attendee’s phones for the duration of the performances.
Shortly after the attack, attendees say fellow comedian Chris Rock took to the stage with Chappelle and quipped, “Was that Will Smith?” The joke was in reference to Rock being slapped by Will Smith during this year’s Academy Awards, after Rock made a joke about Smith’s wife, Jada.
Chappelle was performing as part of a comedy festival, the Netflix Is A Joke-Fest.
- Windy Indy: Speeds hit 243 mph as weather disrupts 500 prep
- Dick Hall, man held hostage in 1977 by Tony Kiritsis in Indy, dies
- Moth species not seen since 1912 found in luggage at Michigan airport
- Bird-watcher falsely accused in racist Central Park encounter gets Nat Geo show
- Indiana Republican leaders mum on Democrats’ push to suspend state gas tax
- Police cancel search for missing Sellersburg man