TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (August 16, 2015) — At least 15 people have been treated at a hospital after a chemical leak on the south side of Terre Haute.
Terre Haute Regional Hospital spokeswoman Ann Marie Foote says the hospital received 15 patients following the leak Saturday night. Of those, 12 were treated and released, and three were admitted for additional testing and treatment.
It wasn’t clear whether Union Hospital in Terre Haute treated any patients.
Firefighters at the scene said sulfur dioxide had leaked at Hydrite Chemical Co. and winds carried fumes to nearby Hulman-Mini Speedway, where a crowd was watching auto races. The Tribune-Star reports 200 to 300 people were evacuated from the area and some complained of respiratory problems including difficulty breathing, nasal irritation, as well as nausea and a metallic taste in their mouths.
Viewer says they could smell & taste the chemicals. It was burning lungs and throat. People were coughing. Used shirts over mouths. @WTHITV
— Hunter Petroviak (@Hunter_TVNews) August 15, 2015