Employee dead, 10 hospitalized after chemical incident at Buffalo Wild Wings in Massachusetts

BURLINGTON, Mass. – A Massachusetts Buffalo Wild Wings worker is dead and nearly a dozen people were hospitalized after being exposed to a chemical inside the restaurant Thursday evening.

Firefighters arrived around 5:30 p.m. and found the worker complaining of nausea, likely from inhaling fumes in the kitchen area. The incident prompted a Tier 1 hazardous material response and firefighters evacuated the building.

The deadly substance was described as a “strong cleaning agent,” according to a statement from John M. Guilfoil, a spokesman for the Burlington Fire Department.

The unidentified male worker was in serious condition when he was rushed to Lahey Hospital and Medical Center, where he later died, according to fire officials. Ten other people, including customers and workers, sought treatment for difficulty breathing and a burning sensation in the eyes.

“We’re just sitting there and then all of a sudden we start smelling the whatever it was, ammonia or whatever it smelled like, and all of a sudden he inside of my nose starts burning,” a patron told WHDH. “We see the employees, like the waitstaff, everybody just flee.”

A state hazardous materials team responded around 9:30 p.m. as authorities worked to identify the chemical threat.

“Anyone who was in the restaurant at the time and believes they may be impacted by the incident should seek medical treatment immediately,” the fire department said.

Buffalo Wild Wings gave the following statement to WHDH: “We are shocked and saddened to learn of this horrific accident at our franchise-owned sports bar and are working closely with our franchisee and the authorities while they conduct an investigation.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.