Indianapolis house fire started by fighting animals that knocked over space heater

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – A near east side man says his cat and dog were fighting when they knocked over an electric space heater onto a pile of blankets, which caught fire Monday.

The man told the Indianapolis Fire Department that the fire “took off quickly and by the time he got everyone evacuated, the back porch was fully involved.”

Firefighters were called to the home near the intersection of Prospect and Keystone shortly after 12 p.m. When crews arrived, they started an “aggressive offensive attack and search.”

The blaze was under control within about 30 minutes, according to IFD, and the fire caused an estimated $60,000 in damage.

The home was occupied by a man, a woman, their dog and four cats. All were evacuated and IFD says they’re okay.

According to IFD, the home didn’t have any working smoke alarms.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.