Extension cord used to power space heater overheats, catches fire in west side home

Extension cords overheat and catch fire on west side (Photos courtesy of the Wayne Township Fire Department)

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – An extension cord used to power a space heater overheated and sparked a house fire on the west side of Indianapolis.

The Wayne Township Fire Department says it happened in the 6300 block of Rockville Rd. Saturday morning.

According to firefighters, five children and four adults escaped the home after the fire broke out.

Officials say the home had a smoking alarm, but it wasn’t functioning.

“We are thankful the family escaped without injury,” wrote the fire department in a tweet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.