Homeland Security believes natural gas leak caused Carmel High School blast that hurt 2

CARMEL, Ind. – The Indiana Department of Homeland Security has determined that a natural gas leak was the cause of an explosion at Carmel High School on Wednesday.

IDHS said Thursday that it appears the gas was ignited when a maintenance worker and contractor were doing routine services on two boilers on the school’s second floor. Officials don’t believe there was any boiler malfunction.

The city’s fire department says the workers were both injured in the blast and one suffered severe burns. Both were transported to Eskenazi Hospital for treatment.

Carmel Clay Schools says there were about 100 students at the school at the time of the explosion, but none were hurt during the incident. They were evacuated to the stadium locker rooms, where they reunited with their parents.

All activities at the high school are canceled until further notice.

Thursday, the fire department released photos that showed the extent of the damage:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.