Police searching for 2 men who shot at officers in second shooting incident involving IMPD in 24 hours
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – Indianapolis Metropolitan police searched for two men who shot at officers Thursday night, marking the second shooting involving police in less than 24 hours.
One of the officers returned fire. IMPD said no one was hit during the exchange, which happened around 11 p.m. at the Cheswick Apartments near 30th Street and Post Road. Officers were initially dispatched there for a reported disturbance involving a group of seven to 10 people. When officers arrived, two men started walking away and wouldn’t stop when police ordered them to do so.
“Those two suspects became very belligerent toward the officers,” said Sgt. Jim Gillespie with IMPD. “At one point in time, there were shots fired at officers, one round, then one of the officers had returned fire.”
After the gunfire, the men ran away, prompting a search that involved a helicopter from Indiana State Police, a drone from the Indianapolis Fire Department, IMPD SWAT and IMPD K9. Crews were unable to find the men despite the large search effort.
“Anyone we can locate that knows something, give us a call,” Gillespie said. “As well as if anybody sees any suspicious behavior or suspicious activity in the area, we need them to call us immediately so we can get out there and check them out.”
Friday night, IMPD released this timeline of events for the shooting:
- 10:56 p.m. – 911 call comes in advising 6 to 7 people arguing at entrance to Cheswick Apartments
- 10:57 – Officers dispatched
- 11:03 – Officers arrive on-scene
- 11:04 – Officer broadcasts suspect description and direction of travel and advises of Officer Involved Shooting
- 11:05 – Updates location of incident and Command Staff notifications go out. Broadcast put out on all channels and the radio channel is patched to County Wide channel
- 11:06 – On-duty SWAT is requested. Anonymous call comes in reporting they heard shots fired
- 11:07 – Officers establishing large perimeter
- 11:09 – Late Shift Lieutenant establishes Incident Command. Additional 911 call comes in reporting they heard shots fired
- 11:11 – Communications Van requested
- 11:12 – POST team responding
- 11:22 – Celadon trucking placed on lockdown
- 11:28 – Additional 911 call comes in reporting a barking dog
- 11:30 – Night Watch Captain takes over Incident Command
- 11:33 – IFD Drone requested and first IMPD K9 deployed. Internal Affairs notified
- 11:47 – ISP Helicopter requested
- 11:49 – Additional IMPD K9 deployed
- 12:03 a.m. – 1st K9 search complete
- 12:11 – ISP Helicopter responding
- 12:14 – IFD Drone on-scene and deploying
- 12:47 – ISP Helicopter on-scene
- 1:01 – Crime Lab requested to respond
- 1:39 – Perimeter is released; suspects not located
- 1:43 – Celadon notified that lockdown can be lifted
- 1:47 – Incident Command terminated
This marked the second shooting involving IMPD officers in less than 24 hours. Thursday afternoon, an officer shot a man during a traffic stop.
Anyone with information regarding these incidents that may help authorities is asked to contact Crime Stoppers of Central Indiana at 317-262-TIPS.