Click here for weather warnings in central Indiana

Court docs: Seymour man never called 911 to help 8-year-old son after eating meth

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Curtis Collman II

SEYMOUR, Ind. – A Seymour man faces neglect charges after his 8-year-old son died from eating meth, and he never called for medical help, according to court documents.

Curtis Collman II, 41, faces numerous charges including neglect of a dependent causing death after police say his son, Curtis Collman III, ingested a large amount of meth.

Court documents show Collman II first noticed there was something wrong with his son on the morning of June 21. The child woke Collman II up because he was hungry, but Collman II said they didn’t have any food and went back to sleep. The next time he was woken up, Collman II said the boy was “not acting right.” He was “twitching and bouncing his face off the floor,” Collman II said. He tried to hold him down, but the boy kept “grabbing his face and scratching his own face.”

Collman II called a friend around 10 a.m. and told her his son was “not acting right,” and he needed her help immediately. When she arrived around 10:50 a.m. she said the boy was having trouble seeing. She told Collman II they needed to call 911. But when she mentioned calling for help, he “ripped” the phone out of her hand, pointed a gun at her and said he “would kill all three of them.” She left immediately out of fear for her life.

Collman II was screaming hysterically when he took his son to his mother’s house around 1 p.m. His mom wanted to call 911 for help, but Collman II wouldn’t let her. Jackson County dispatch later received a 911 call about a boy not breathing around 1:47p.m.

Collman II left the residence when 911 was called.

The boy was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Police later tracked down Collman II, and he was arrested for failure to register as a sex offender. He was transported to the sheriff’s office for questioning.

Investigators asked Collman II what his son could have ingested at his apartment. Collman II said there was meth on a plate, but he thought he hid the meth.  According to court documents, he told police his son probably got into the bleach or Pine-Sol he uses to clean the bathroom.

When asked why he didn’t call 911, Collman II told police he panicked.

A toxicology report obtained by the Associated Press reveals the boy had more than 180 times the lethal limit of methamphetamine in his bloodstream when he died.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.