Recall of salad, wrap products by Indianapolis-based company issued
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – The USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service is issuing a recall over salad and wrap products produced by an Indianapolis food company.
Beef, pork and poultry salad and wrap products were distributed by Caito Foods have been recalled due to concerns of Cyclospora contamination. That is the same parasite believed to be responsible for nearly 300 illnesses connected to McDonald’s salads since May.
The beef, pork and poultry salad and wrap items were produced between July 15 to 18, with the either “Best By,” “Enjoy by,” Best if Sold By” or “Sell By” dates ranging from July 18 through July 23.
FSIS is concerned that some product may be in consumers’ refrigerators and that consumers may be at risk due to the length of the Cyclospora incubation period. Consumers who have purchased these products are urged not to consume them.
Recently, there have been a string of high-profile food recalls. Last week, Ritz Crackers and Goldfish snacks were recalled over possible fears of Salmonella contamination. Experts say it’s true that we are seeing more recalls these days, because the detection processes used by food manufacturers is getting better. In many cases, recalls are issued even when no illness has been reported.
“A lot of food producers, if they do find something questionable in their routine testing or food safety program, a lot of times will issue a recall out of an abundance of caution,” said food safety educator Scott Monroe, with Purdue Extension, “we’re getting a lot better at maybe either seeing these things before they happen or in the very early stages where we can issue those recalls.”
These products in the most recent Caito recall should be thrown away or returned to the place of purchase.
Cyclospora infection is an illness cause by the intestinal parasite, Cyclospora cayetanensis. The incubation period for Cyclospora ranges from two to 14 days, which would include the dates of July 25 through August 6.
Here’s a list of the recalled items and where they were sold out:
- Wrap Roast Beef 4/9.5z – Gordon Food Service
- Salad Chicken Caesar 4/7.5z – Gordon Food Service
- Salad Santa Fe Chkn 4/8.75z – Gordon Food Service
- Salad Chicken Caesar 4/7.5z – Unknown
- Salad Chef Ham&Trky 4/8.25z – Unknown
- Wrap Roast Beef 4/9.5z – Unknown
- Salad Cobb 6/12.5z – Unknown
- Salad Sm Grdn w/Chckn 6/11.7z – Unknown
- Salad Sm Caesar w/Chckn 6/10z – Unknown
- Salad Small Chef 6/9.2z – Unknown
- Salad Lrg Caesar w/Chckn 4/16z – Unknown
- Salad Chef 1/12z – Kroger
- Salad Caesar Chicken 1/10.5z – Kroger
- Salad Chicken Cobb 1/13z – Kroger
- Wrap Chicken Caesar 1/12.3z – Kroger
- Salad Trky Ovngld Cobb 1/12.25z – Kroger
- Salad EvrRst Chckn Caes 1/11z – Kroger
- Salad Chef Salad 1/14z – Kroger
- Salad Czar & Chicken 1/9z TJs – Trader Joe’s
- Salad Chin Ckn Inspd 1/12z TJs – Trader Joe’s
- Wrap Chicken Tarragon 10z TJs – Trader Joe’s
- WG SantaFe Salad & Chkn 1/11.5 – Walgreen’s
- WG Asian Salad & Chkn 1/10.25z – Walgreen’s
- WG Chicken Caesar 1/10.25z – Walgreen’s
- WG Chef & Ham&Trky 1/11.5z – Walgreen’s