GREENWOOD, Ind. – Crews are working to extinguish a large fire at a Greenwood apartment complex.
The blaze sparked Wednesday afternoon at the Meridian Oaks Apartments, near West Main Street and State Road 135.
More than 50 renters were displaced. No injuries have been reported at this time.
Officials believe the incident started as a mulch fire and Wednesday's dry and windy conditions helped fuel the fire.
"Often times people will discard smoking materials in the mulch as they go into their apartment. It can easily be caused by other things as well but that's the most common thing we see," explains Jeremy Pell, Chief with the White River Township Fire Department.
Two strangers tell FOX 59 they saw the smoke and flames as they were driving by. Without even thinking, they pulled in and started banging on doors to alert renters of the fire.
"We were just being a good citizen and doing what I hope anyone else would do to my family's home," explains Ben Floyd, a Good Samaritan.
Firefighters spent hours rescuing pets from units.