Natural gas leak causes issues for crews fighting west side house fire
INDIANAPOLIS — Wayne Township firefighters had their hands full with a stubborn residence fire late Sunday night.
Fire units were called to the 100 block of Greenlee Dr. shortly after 9:30 p.m., where they found flames shooting through the structure’s roof.
The homeowner tells CBS4 she and her 13-year-old daughter were watching a movie when they smelled gasoline. They quickly escaped the home and minutes later, it was engulfed in flames.
“We’re all okay. That’s the number one thing. We’re all together,” said Katie Diggs.
Both Diggs and her daughter were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene and then released. Firefighters also rescued the family cat, reported to be in good condition. They are staying with family for the time being.
A natural gas leak in the home fed the flames and required Citizens Energy to dig up the gas line, according to fire investigators. A vehicle in the home’s garage began leaking fuel, which also ignited, causing additional problems. Two adjacent structures suffered heat damage.
The home was deemed a total loss with damage estimated at $150,000. The cause remains under investigation.