Neighbor alerts family to early morning fire on west side

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – A neighbor helped rescue a family from an early morning fire on the west side of Indianapolis.

According to the Wayne Township Fire Department the fire started around 3:30 a.m. at a home in the 4900 block of Melrose Avenue.

A neighbor noticed the fire alerted the residents inside. Two adults and a 2-month-old child managed to escape safely. Officials said the neighbor, Joe Hynes, awoke to what sounded like rain and realized it was burning embers from the home next door. He pounded on the bedroom window to wake the family and then broke the window to help them escape.

The child was taken to Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health as a precaution, officials said.

Firefighters also rescued the family dog, who was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene. Extended family took the dog to a veterinarian and said the dog was in good condition.

Investigators said the home sustained extensive fire and smoke damage, which is estimated at $40,000. The cause appeared to be accidental, officials said.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.