Overheated toy battery believed to have sparked apartment fire that displaced 10

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – Investigators believe an overheated lithium battery inside a toy sparked an apartment fire that displaced seven adult and three children Sunday morning.

The Indianapolis Fire Department says it happened at the Mariner Apartments on the east side. Crews responded to the blaze in the 2200 block of Harbor Dr. shortly before 8:44 a.m. IFD says the fire was marked under control at about 9:04 a.m.

Fire officials say the toy that overheated was in a furnace room that was also used as a storage closet. The fire ignited nearby combustibles.

A female occupant reportedly saw smoke coming out of the room and alerted others to evacuate. Nobody was injured in the blaze.

IFD says four unites were affected. Battalion Chief Dennis Gavaghan estimates the fire caused $100,000 in damage.

Authorities say it’s unclear if there were working smoke detectors, but all occupants had renters insurance.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.