Click here for delays and closings

Authorities: Cigarette causes west side house fire, 6 displaced

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – A family of 6 was displaced Saturday afternoon after authorities said a fire was caused by a discarded cigarette.

Just before 12:45 p.m., Wayne Township Fire Dept. was dispatched to the 5500 block of Jackson St. on the report of a residence fire.

The home was reportedly occupied by four youths at the time. The two adults who live there were not home at the time.

All four youths escaped uninjured. Firefighters brought the fire under control on approximately 15 minutes.

Investigators have ruled the fire accidental. A discarded cigarette outside the rear of the home ignited an old mattress, firefighters said.

Wayne Township Victims Assistance & the American Red Cross are assisting the family. They rent the home and reportedly do not have insurance.

Watch a video of the fire from Wayne Twp Fire Dept below.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.