15 people, 15 pets safe after early morning house fire on east side of Indianapolis

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – The Indianapolis Fire Department said 15 people and more than a dozen pets escaped injury after an early morning house fire on the east side of Indianapolis.

IFD crews were dispatched just before 4 a.m. to the 2400 block of North Kitley Avenue. Crews encountered heavy smoke when they arrived.

It happened at a single-story home split into two residences. Crews had the fire under control in about 20 minutes; they believe it started in the dryer at the residence on the 2432 side.

The fire awoke the residents. Five adults, 11 cats and three dogs lived there, IFD said.

The 2434 side sustained water damage. Residents living there were awakened by neighbors banging on their door. Four adults, six children and a dog all got out safely.

IFD estimated the damage at $60,000. IFD Victims Assistance was working with the American Red Cross to find shelter for the displaced residents.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.