BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - A warning from Bloomington Police after nearly a dozen people overdosed on synthetic drugs within only 24 hours. Officers say the overdoses were happening in public places like gas station bathrooms.
Police say there were ten overdoses in just 24-hours.
"Yesterday was a very bad day for us. Unfortunately...this is not uncommon which is the scariest part," said Bloomington Police Cpt. Steve Kellams.
BPD officers and emergency crews responded to frantic calls for help, by the minute.
"As frequently as every 30 to 40 minutes. We definitely have some serious issues responding to all of those calls that are coming in," said Cpt. Kellams.
Six people overdosed on spice, 4 others on heroin. Both likely laced with other deadly chemicals.
"Everything from the original JWH018 to rat poison that they just spray on this stuff for people to smoke. So you never know what you are going to get," said Cpt. Kellams.
First responders used narcan on all ten people who overdosed but say sometimes the mix of drugs can overpower the life-saving medicine. These spikes in calls for service can take police away from other calls.
"It becomes a huge community safety issue and a huge community health issue that concerns us a lot," said Cpt. Kellams.
They are linked to a "tan colored" heroin and spice ( a synthetic cannabinoid), police say.
Back in February BPD dealt with a similar string of overdoses. Officers arrested several dealers in connection to that case and plan to continue that track-record for this investigation.
If you have information that could help investigators, call the Bloomington Police Department.
Here's a list of the times and locations of the reported overdoses:
- 4000 Block of W. Third Street at 2:53 p.m. on June 21
- 2500 S. Rockport Road at 4:26 a.m. on June 22
- 200 Block of E. Kirkwood at 9:32 a.m. on June 22
- 2400 Block of N. Stonelake Circle at 10:51 a.m. on June 22
- 600 Block of S. Walnut Street at 1:31 p.m. on June 22
- 101 W. Second Street at 2:18 p.m. on June 22
- 200 Block of E. Kirkwood at 4:34 p.m. on June 22
- 1000 Block of N. Summit at 5:59 p.m. on June 22
- 100 Block of N. Hopewell Street at 6:16 p.m. on June 22
- 200 Block of S. Westplex at 7:36 p.m. on June 22
There is no word yet on the condition of the victims, we will update this story as we receive more information.