High school varsity football scores

Alabama man nearly killed after sleeping with phone charging in bed

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HUNTSVILLE, AL. – An Alabama man was nearly electrocuted after falling asleep with his iPhone and charging cord in bed, WAAY-TV reports.

Last week Wiley Day, 32, fell asleep with his dog tag around his neck. His iPhone was connected to its charger and an extension cord near his head. While he was sleeping, the chain to his dog tag slipped between the charger and the extension cord.

The contact sent a surge of electricity through his body.

“And my necklace became the conductor. And it somehow, some way, jolted me over here to the floor,” Day told WAAY-TV.

Thankfully, Day was able to break the chain from his neck, and he’s lucky to be alive.

Wiley was hit with about 110 volts, and 100 volts can kill a person, according to Dr. Benjamin Fail, a family practice physician. “He is lucky to be alive,” Fail said.

Now Day is warning others about the dangers of charging your phone in bed.

“Charge your phone away from you. Charge it the next day. It’s not worth your life,” Day said.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s