INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – A second child has died as a result of a two-story house fire on the near south side Friday night.
Family confirmed to CBS4 Monday that 5-year-old Caydon succumbed to his injuries sustained in the fire in the 700 block of East Terrace Avenue.
His grandfather, 51-year-old Jeff Sullivan, and his 10-month-old brother were pronounced dead at the scene.
Authorities say the fire was started by an unattended space heater.
Firefighters were told Sullivan and another man were watching the children while their mother went to the store. The two men were downstairs when they smelled smoke.
Caydon was able to be extracted by firefighters and taken to Riley Children’s hospital, where he died.
Sullivan ran upstairs and tried to save his 10-month-old grandson, but neither of them made it out of the house.
Two neighbors also tried to enter the home and help, but were pushed back by the intense heat and smoke from the blaze.
Authorities said that the fatalities are the first two in the IFD service district for 2017.
“Jeff died a hero…he loved his grand-kids more than life itself,” said Jeff’s brother Scott.
A gofundme page has been set up for the victim’s family.