Investigators believe unattended candle caused house fire that injured 2 near Geist Reservoir

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Fishers fire department at the scene.

HAMILTON COUNTY, Ind. – Investigators have determined an unattended candle caused a fire that injured two people Wednesday morning. Crews believe the candle caught bedding on fire in a bonus room above the home’s garage.

Firefighters responded to the house fire near the Geist Reservoir around 4:30 a.m.

The fire injured two occupants, including a 21-year-old man who was transported to Eskenazi Hospital with serious burns. Fire officials say his burns are servere, but do not appear to be life threatening. The other injured occupant had minor non-life threatening burns, which were later treated at the hospital. Four other people escaped the fire without injury.

The fire department says the home’s occupants kept the fire from spreading to the rest of the residence by closing the door to the room where the fire started.

It took 33 firefighters roughly 25 minutes to control the fire that caused an estimated $65,000 in damage.

Firefighters encourage residents not to use candles, but if they choose to do so, never leave them lit while unattended or while asleep.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.