Muncie heroin overdose caught on camera
MUNCIE, Ind. — A dramatic rescue was captured on video when officers and EMS workers raced to get two people out of a car after they overdosed on heroin.
Hunter Madison was shopping at a tire store in Muncie when he came upon a dramatic scene. He said the manager of the tire store called 911. While they waited for police to arrive, he took out his phone and started recording.
“I just thought maybe if somebody saw it that it might change their minds,” Madison said.
Madison and others tried to get into the car to help the two men who were passed out, but they weren’t able to get inside. The doors were locked and the windows were up.
“The guys were laying in the car. They really looked almost dead,” Madison described. “They were just slumped over and I’ve never seen anything like that before.”
One man was passed out with a syringe in his hands. Police said the men likely overdosed in the parking lot across the street, before putting the car in reverse and slamming into a dumpster.
Muncie Police Officer Darrin Clark was the first to respond.
“They lost their color. they were kind of a pale color,” Officer Clark said.
Officer Clark also tried to get into the car without much success. He used his baton to smash the passenger window.
“I don’t know how many times I hit that, over and over and over again. Once i got the passenger door unlocked, I unlocked the rear passenger door, climbed across the drivers door and then had to open it from inside,” Officer Clark said.
EMS and a sheriffs deputy responded and were able to administer Naloxone, saving both lives. Muncie Police Officer Ron Locke also responded.
"We have so many of them. That was my fifth one within that time frame," Locke said.
This was just one of more than a dozen overdose calls over the weekend. Three people died of suspected heroin overdoses.
Madison is hoping by sharing this video, others might think twice before deciding to use the deadly drug.
"If they’re doing it themselves maybe the realize the harsh reality that can actually happen and those people could have very easily, if nobody went out and found them, they could have very easily died right there," Madison said.
Both men were taken to the hospital to be treated before being brought to jail on drug paraphernalia charges. They were released one day later.