Neighbor reacts to death of 20-year-old neighbor, SWAT situation involving 2 teens

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. -- Two teenagers are behind bars following a lengthy standoff with police on Indianapolis’s south side.

Photo of Jake Arnett courtesy of his family

Photo of Jake Arnett courtesy of his family

Investigators say the two underage suspects are thought to be connected to the deadly shooting of 20-year-old Jake Arnett that happened Thursday night in the 1900 block of South Union Street.

After Arnett was shot, he tried to get help from a neighbor before crawling to his own home where he died.

“It happened right here on the corner. He came straight across and came up here,” said John Mosley.

After the shooting, Arnett showed up on his porch, and Mosley’s friend quickly called 911.

“The victim was just spewing blood all over the door. I tried to open the door, and he fell down,” said Mosley.

Mosley spent today cleaning up the bloody mess. Arnett also left a trail of blood behind as he stumbled back to his own home unable to speak.

“As his mouth was coming open, blood was coming out of him. It was really horrible,” said Mosley.

Nine hours later, SWAT units showed up to a home on Redwood Drive in search of two possible suspects. Four adults, a toddler, and an infant came out of the home. After a two and a half hour standoff, police broke several windows shooting tear gas inside forcing the two teenage suspects to surrender.

“This is a very traumatic experience for all of us. These are two juveniles involved in a shooting overnight that led to death of a man,” said IMPD Sgt. Kendale Adams.

Police believe drugs may have been a motive in the death, but neighbors say Arnett never showed any signs of trouble.

“He was a perfectly good kid. He always waved. His dad always waved. I don’t know what to think. It’s got the neighbors all upset,” said Mosley. “It’s horrible to see it right here at home. It’s just awful.”

Police will not release the names of the two juveniles arrested unless they are charged as adults.

No one got hurt during the standoff.