INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – Crews were called to an Indianapolis high school Wednesday morning in response to a fire.
The fire at North Central High School, 1801 E. 86th St., was reported around 8 a.m., according to officials with Washington Township Schools. The Indianapolis Fire Department arrived at the school to assess the situation.
According to school officials, a cell phone charger overheated and began to smolder inside a backpack while students were in class. The school said all “safety protocols and procedures” were followed to keep students and staff safe.
IFD gave the “all clear” after inspecting the school and checking the air quality. The classroom where the incident happened is closed for professional cleaning.
Students resumed their normal routine and the incident remains under investigation, school officials said.