Family displaced after child accidentally sets fire to home while playing with lighter

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – A family of six was displaced from their home Sunday after authorities say a 5-year-old boy accidentally set a couch on fire with a lighter.

The family and their dog evacuated the home in the 2200 block of Howard Street and called 911 around 11:10 a.m. No one was injured.

Firefighters arrived and were able to stifle the blaze, but not before it did significant damage to the upstairs of the home. Battalion Chief Steve Dixon estimated the fire caused around $30,000 in damage.

Crews used tarps and plastic sheets to help keep water damage to a minimum in the downstairs area.

The Indianapolis Fire Department wants to remind everyone to keep all lighters and matches out of reach of young children.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.