Suspect in custody after traffic stop leads to SWAT standoff at southeast side home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. -- A SWAT standoff has ended on the southeast side of Indianapolis.

The incident started as an attempted traffic stop earlier in the early morning hours Thursday. Police tried to stop a car speeding the wrong way on Illinois Street. The car wouldn't stop, and a vehicle and foot pursuit ensued. It ended at a home in the 2600 block of S. Walcott Street, where police said the 23-year-old suspect sought refuge.

4 Fast Facts

  • Police arrest man after SWAT standoff at southeast side home
  • Incident started when police tired to pull over speeding car
  • Suspect sought refuge inside home on Walcott Street
  • The suspect surrendered after police fired gas canisters into the home

SWAT negotiators were called to the home in an attempt to get the suspect to surrender.

"It started off about 1:30 this morning, the negotiators got here before the SWAT team," said Capt. Michael Elder with IMPD. "We spent about two hours on our loud speakers trying to make contact with them. They refused to talk to us."

A bullhorn was heard being used to communicate messages to the suspect including, "Follow our instructions" and "No one is going to hurt you."

Elder said police then obtained a warrant and tried to negotiate again. One person came out of the home and was detained. He wasn't the person who led police on the chase.

"It was turned over to SWAT. They went through their protocol. The first is the less lethal, they deployed some gas in the house. The first subject who we were not after came out, he was detained, brought back and talked to."

According to police at the scene, officers saw the suspect "flushing items," and a family member informed them that there were a large number of weapons in the house. The flushed items may have been narcotics, police said.

Around 5:45 a.m., police fired more gas canisters into the home. The suspect later came outside and surrendered to end the standoff.

"He’ll be charged with fleeing downtown from the vehicle and fleeing on foot briefly," Elder said. "And if the narcotics comes back positive…as you know cocaine, or meth or heroine or whatever it is he’ll be charged with that. Because of the gas in the house we haven’t been able to go inside and check the house, but if there’s other narcotics in there or illegal guns or anything that’s found that would be considered for charging by the prosecutor’s office."

Police said no one was hurt during the incident.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.