Christmas is just around the corner, and that means the kids will be out of school and families will need something to do! You don’t have to break the bank for your holiday fun in central Indiana.
We’ve uncovered 12 free activities around the area that are perfect for Hoosier families hoping to bundle some winter fun with family time. They range from Carmel to Metamora to Madison and include a variety of different activities for everyone.
- Carmel Holiday Trolley - Meets at PNC Bank Parking lot and takes riders to Carmel Arts & Design District, Indiana Design Center and Carmel Clay Center.
- Circle of Lights - This is a great spot to snap some family photos! The tradition has been going strong for 54 years on Monment Circle.
- Festival of Trees - Head south to Historic Madison for a holiday trip! Admission to this event is free. It runs from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Jolly Days at Children’s Museum (Dec. 24, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.) - Jolly Days is free with admission at the Children Museum of Indianapolis, but on Dec. 24 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., admission to the museum is free!
- Bleed Blue Blood Drive and Holiday Fair - Expect family-friendly activities, tours, and much more at this Dec. 17 event, which takes place at Lucas Oil Stadium between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. Two movies will be shown at the event: The Polar Express at 12 p.m. and Elf at 1:45 p.m.
- Christmas Walk in Metamora - Experience the pageantry of Christmas in charming Metamora! The event is Dec. 16 (until 10 p.m.) through Dec. 18 (through 5 p.m.).
- Christkindl Village - Friday, Dec. 16, and Saturday, Dec. 17, at St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church.
- Reindeer Meet and Greet at Clay Terrace - You'll find carriage rides on Fridays at Clay Terrace between 5:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. until Dec. 23. Children can enjoy a meet and greet with reindeer on Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Winter Solstice - At this festive celebration visit Christmas at Lilly House at the Indianapolis Museum of Art to sing along with carolers, create winter art, meet arctic creatures and watch blocks of ice transform into sculptures at this all ages family event.
- Get Your Picture with Rowdie Claus of the Indianapolis Indians - Saturday, Dec. 17 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Victory Field.
- Indy Winter Farmers Market - Saturday, Dec. 17. Free parking is available.
- Volunteer at Wheeler Mission - Teach your family the value of community service by volunteering at Wheeler Mission this holiday season.