Trump goes after Rexnord one day after announcing deal with Carrier
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind.– President-elect Donald Trump called out Rexnord Friday night due to the company’s announcement last month to move jobs out of Indianapolis to Mexico.
Rexnord plans to move 300 union jobs and 75-80 supervisory jobs to Mexico by June 2017.
United Steel Workers Union President Chuck Jones said the company cited the wage difference as the reason they are moving. In Indianapolis, workers were making $25 per hour, plus benefits. The workers in Mexico will be making $2.50-$3 per hour, plus benefits.
Before the official announcement, workers protested outside the company’s building on the west side.
On Thursday, Trump and Vice President-elect Mike Pence visited Indianapolis to discuss the details of a deal with Carrier that will keep 1,100 of their jobs from moving to Mexico. However, several hundred jobs could not be saved.
Trump made saving U.S. jobs one of his top campaign promises. He singled out the Carrier during the campaign, blasting the company’s decision to move jobs from Indiana to Mexico in a cost-cutting move.
In his Friday night tweet, Trump did not mention whether he was working on a deal with Rexnord.
“Rexnord of Indiana is moving to Mexico and rather viciously firing all of its 300 workers,” he said. “This is happening all over our country. No more!”