INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. -- Officials at Eskenazi Heath say they're starting to see an increase in patients with burn injures due to fireworks.
Nathan French was one of them. He spent two days in the hospital's burn unit after getting serious burns from a fireworks explosion. He said he and his friend were sitting next to a bag of fireworks, when an ash from a cigarette may have lit the bag on fire.
“I didn’t have enough time to react. They all went off within like five seconds," French said.
He had surgeries and skin grafts on both of his legs and right hand. French said he's still experiencing pain where the skin was removed and even has trouble walking. He will have to do physical therapy and may have scars. He hopes people will learn from his lesson.
“If you know there are fireworks near you, just be careful with what you are doing," French said.
“Basically, blast injuries, a lot of these fireworks, there’s concussive force to them, so there might be some trauma other than burns," said Tyler Stepsis, Assistant Medical Director for Eskenazi Health's Emergency Department.
Doctors say sparklers can be just as dangerous. The temperature on the sparkler can reach more than two thousand degrees.
Head to your county's website to find out more about fireworks laws in your area.