WESTMINSTER, N.Y. (Feb. 17, 2016) – CJ the German shorthaired pointer is the new top dog.
CJ—short for “California Journey”—won Best in Show at the 140th Annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. The 3-year-old is the third of his type to take the top prize, and the first since 1987 to do it.
Close to 3,000 dogs from around the U.S. compete in the annual show, which is considered the second oldest sporting event in the U.S. after the Kentucky Derby.
Here are the other big winners:
- Best hound: My Sassy Girl, female borzoi
- Best toy: Don’t Stop Believing, male shih tzu
- Best non-sporting: Southern Bell, female bulldog
- Best herding: Rumor Has It V Kenlyn, female German shepherd
- Best sporting: California Journey, male German shorthaired pointer
- Best working: Run Play It Again Ham, male Samoyed
- Best terrier: Good Time Charlie, male Skye Terrier