INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (Feb. 15, 2016)– Firefighters responded to a house fire Monday night on the southeast side.
Fire crews responded to the 5100 block of Cedar Mill Lane just after 7 p.m. Flames and heavy smoke poured from the roof as they arrived on scene.
According to the Indianapolis Fire Department, five people lived in the home with two dogs and two fish. The family got out safely and firefighters rescued the dogs. The fish were unaccounted for.
No injuries were reported.
The family has lived in the home for ten years. It did have working smoke alarms.
The fire began in the garage shortly after fireplace ashes were discarded into a trash can. The fire grew quickly out of control.
In addition to the damage to the house, two vehicles were lost in the fire. IFD estimated the total damage at $300,000.