Chase leads to crash in Bartholomew County; 2 arrested after drugs found
COLUMBUS, Ind. (Feb. 11, 2016) – Two people were arrested after a police chase led to a crash and the discovery of drugs in Bartholomew County.
Officers tried to stop Thomas Childers Jr., 32, in his vehicle around 4:30 p.m. Wednesday on State Street. Police said Childers wouldn’t pull over and led police on a chase before crashing into a parked vehicle in the 400 block of Pence Street.
He got out of the car and ran to a home where he was taken into custody after struggling with officers. Inside the home, police saw drugs in open view. After obtaining a search warrant, investigators found heroin, 15 hypodermic needles, marijuana, drug paraphernalia and a stolen computer.
Childers was arrested on several charges:
- Bartholomew County Circuit Court Warrant: Dealing in a narcotic drug (two counts)
- Resisting law enforcement on foot
- Resisting law enforcement by vehicle
- Driving while suspended with prior conviction
- Receiving stolen property
- Possession of heroin
- Possession of marijuana
- Possession of drug paraphernalia
- Possession of a legend drug injection device
- Leaving the scene of an accident
In addition to Childers, police also arrested a second man, Chad Mitchell, 40, on a preliminary charge of maintaining a common nuisance.