UPDATE: Amber Alert canceled after boy missing from South Bend found safe, suspect in custody

Space heaters cause fire in south side home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS (January 19, 2016) – A husband, wife and two dogs are safe after an early morning fire destroyed the upper level of a south side home.

Fire crews responded to a call about a house fire in the 1100 block of East Edgewood Avenue around 1:15 a.m. Tuesday.

When they arrived on scene, crews found heavy fire showing from the second floor of the home, according to fire officials. The fire caused about $150,000 in damages.

According to the family, there were four space heaters running in their home – two upstairs and two downstairs.

Even though the heaters were plugged directly into the wall, officials believe the fire was caused by an excessive overload of the circuits due to the additional draw from the space heaters.

Utility workers on scene told crews that they have had multiple calls from other residents who were experiencing electrical difficulties due to multiple heat sources overpowering the electrical systems in their homes.

The Indianapolis Fire Department urges residents to follow manufacturer recommendations when using space heaters. They suggest heating the room before going to sleep, then turning off the heater and closing the door to keep the heat inside.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s