Chimney blamed for house fire on southwest side; woman escapes injury
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (Jan. 4, 2015) – Firefighters were on the scene of a fire on the southwest side Monday morning.
Crews were called to the 5600 block of Alcott Lane just before 7 a.m. Heavy smoke and flames were seen coming from the home, which is between Mooresville and Mann roads.
Investigators said the fire started in the chimney before spreading to the attic and the rest of the home. One woman was inside; she was able to get out and wasn’t hurt. The woman is currently staying with a neighbor.
Firefighters said the home appeared to be a total loss and said the fire may have been sparked because the chimney had not been properly cleaned.